Saturday, August 7, 2010

Zoo: Zurich, Switzerland (8/7/10)

For pictures of the Zurich Zoo, please click here.

Ever since I found out that Zurich has a zoo, I've wanted to go. But I decided that I'd save it for a day during which I had nothing else to do because I would be: 1) capable of getting there on my own (Tram 6 simply ends at the zoo), which is remarkable because I get lost going everywhere; and, 2) so distracted by the animals that I'd definitely have a blast on my own, which is rare because I prefer doing everything with company. So here is a collection of my favorite pictures and videos from my trip to the zoo! For all pictures and videos, click here.

These elephants looked like they were trying to unlock the door and escape. They are obviously intelligent animals with surprisingly limber trunks, so I hope that the zookeepers installed an elephant-proof lock!



I loved this guy's haircut. Unfortunately for me, he was too far away to pet. His buddy, however, was not only within arm's reach but also busy trying to eat some white substance from a can -- so I took advantage. I also literally got my hands on some goats and a camel. Yes, they were busy chowing down, too. Hey, if I am presented with an opportunity, I'll always take it!


I really enjoyed walking through the aquarium. The only downside is that it made me want to go scuba diving.


Guess what? Chicken butt! Sorry, I couldn't resist. :) These chickens had long feathers on their legs, which looked like avian legwarmers to me. The rooster was really beautiful -- he definitely strutted through the pen proudly.


This was probably my favorite exhibit of the entire zoo. Do you think we're looking at them, or are they looking at us? :)



These guinea pigs were adorable. This one was super small and, therefore, super cute.


This tortoise was HUGE. He must have been, like, 500 pounds. I couldn't help thinking that he must have come from an island (Galapagos?) without predators because he's really slow and really meaty! The tortoise's pen-mate was very small. I infer from their living arrangement that Junior may grow up to be just as big -- but I will be the first to note that I know nothing about turtles.


Even though I was surrounded by screaming kids all day and had to fork over an astonishing $30 for my lunch, I had a really good time. If you're in the area and like animals, I'd recommend a visit!

For pictures of the Zurich Zoo, please click here.