Friday, August 27, 2010

Reflections: A Summer in Europe (8/27/10)


Until I immersed myself in a new environment this summer, I didn't realize that there's a catch to my normal everyday routine of multi-tasking whenever possible: routines increase my efficiency, but also decrease my contextual sensitivity. In the past three months, I have been forced, sometimes painfully, to reevaluate even the most simple of tasks and basic of assumptions. The issue of transportation is one that was most obvious to me, probably because of my legendary lack of navigational skills: the U.S. decided at some point to address the issue with cars and highways, and Switzerland with trains and tracks. Transportation and otherwise, I appreciated seeing firsthand how another group of people came up with a different solution to the same problem -- for the first time, I truly understand that alternatives always exist.

Also, I discovered that even simple tasks in new surroundings require thought. In Zurich, I was constantly confused by which ways doors opened -- I seemed to always push when I was supposed to pull. Yeah, I felt like the kid in that Far Side cartoon.


I had to dig deep and call upon what little mental math abilities I still possess because everything is measured differently: in the gym, I had to convert from kilograms and kilometers to pounds and miles; in conversations about the weather, I had to figure out the formula for moving from Fahrenheit to Celsius. Results included entering speeds on the treadmill that almost broke my ankles, selecting weights that almost broke my wrists, and having conversations about temperatures that almost mistakenly broke records ("it was only 40 degrees, can you believe it -- oh yeah, sorry, that's in Fahrenheit").

And even my most basic assumptions were tested. I didn't realize that I expected so much consistency. In Zurich, hot weather does not preclude the possibility of rain (shod in leather sandals and clad in a summer dress, I was caught in a cold downpour that evening without a hat or umbrella or jacket); the seemingly family-oriented Old Town zone, replete with colorful candy shops and Mom-and-Pop bookstores, does not exclude the appearance of adult "nightclubs" (with my eyes averted, I felt so Puritanical when I walked briskly past these establishments). Paper comes in different sizes. Bad words aren't necessarily bleeped out on TV or on the radio. I never really thought about who and how and why these decisions are made, and I never before realized that I never had thought about it.

I have learned that, when I am quiet because I cannot speak the local language, I rely not on verbal communication but my powers of observation to figure out what to do. I have learned that I could work all night while working out of Zurich because Mountain View is just starting as I'm leaving the office, so I just need to power down my laptop after a certain time. I have learned that the sun is truly precious, and fun seasonal activities can emerge as a result of the narrow window of golden warmth. I have learned that serene moments dedicated to just one purpose can be surprisingly productive. I have learned to appreciate not only what I have but what others graciously share.

I am grateful for all of the opportunities that I have been offered these past three months. Although the core of my being won't change significantly as a result of these three months, I hope that a more nuanced perspective will help me become increasingly curious and exploratory, understanding and empathetic. It's good to be home, and here's to many more eye-opening trips!