Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stresa to Milan (7/5/10)

For Stresa pictures, click here (Photos #22-#86).
For Milan pictures,
click here (Photos #87-#95).

On the third day of our trip, my mom and I woke up early and went to eat breakfast, which all Italian hotels seem to include in the nightly rate. The breakfast room was beautifully airy and opened directly onto their front lawn. I was in love with the stuffed croissants, which hid jewel-like apricot preserves within its buttery center.


We then took a 10-minute boat ride via public transportation (not the more-expensive and less-reliable private water taxis) to Isola Bella, which was breathtaking even from a distance.


We paid for entrance to and the audio tour for the Palazzo Borromeo mansion and its garden, which I found to be ineffably gorgeous.


You just have to see the interior (mosaics, grottoes, tapestries) and the gardens (said to be the most beautiful in Italy because of its white peacocks, crafted statues and otherworldly flowers) yourself!

We were sad to leave Stresa, but excited to see Milan. We hopped on the afternoon train and arrived just an hour later in a completely different world. Milan is the complete opposite of Stresa -- complicated, metropolitan, bustling, material, monochromatic. We stopped for some pineapple and mango gelato on our way to Sforza's Castle, which has very tall walls and towers encircling a large square.


We then visited the Duomo Cathedral, which I could not enter because my miniskirt did not cover my knees, and the Duomo Square. I could not believe how hot the sun was -- it actually hurt my skin. Especially because of the air conditioning, my mom and I enjoyed ducking into the luxury stores for which Milan is famous. All were in the midst of their semi-annual sales. Looks like we came at the perfect time!


This third day was an awesome experience, and both my mom and I agree that it was probably one of the best 24 hours we have ever spent.

For Stresa pictures, click here (Photos #22-#86).
For Milan pictures,
click here (Photos #87-#95).