Monday, July 26, 2010

Alpamare: Zurich, Switzerland (7/25/10)

What's the best thing to do after a really fun but eventually painful night of dancing in heels? Floating weightlessly in thermal springs and flying swiftly down water slides, of course!

Ahmad kindly invited me to join him at Alpamare, a water park with relaxation facilitates (think sauna, gym and solarium), on Sunday afternoon. The self-purported "biggest covered waterpark in Europe" is open an impressive 365 days a year. Here's a diagram of their slides from their website:

I had never been to a waterpark before, so even the slides labeled "easy" felt really intense to me. Actually, now that I think about it, their labeling system felt backwards: the difficult ones felt much less scary than the easy ones! Anyway, I screamed my lungs out on every single slide, regardless of the rating.

Besides the heated iodine brine pool ("extremely beneficial if you suffer from rheumatism or disk problems"), the other unique aspect of this waterpark was the view. Although this picture is a little dark, you can see the hills, the lake and the trees:


Afterwards, we went to a Thai restaurant (I was craving Asian food, which I haven't had since I left for Europe in late May). I thought the name of this restaurant was the funniest I had ever heard:


We ended with, of course, dessert -- chocolate cake with ginger-lime sorbet. I definitely slept well on Sunday night!