Thursday, July 15, 2010

Jungfraujoch, Switzerland (7/10/10)

For pictures of Jungfraujoch, click here.

Jungfraujoch is one of those tourist destinations that is splashed across all brochures of local attractions. Although I'm generally wary of these sorts of over-advertised tourist-traps, I figured that the combination of excellent weather and a travel buddy (my mom) tipped the scales in favor of my going.


According to Wikipedia, the "Top of Europe," as it is labeled in said brochures, "can only be reached through a 7.3 km long cog railway tunnel, served by the Jungfraubahn, the highest in a series of cooperating railway companies that provide access to the Jungfraujoch from Interlaken." I found the trip up as classically picturesque as I could imagine. I honestly couldn't take a bad shot -- not because of my excellent photographic skills, but because of the naturally perfect composition of rolling hills, craggy mountains, colorful wildflowers and azure lakes. Apparently, I wasn't the only shutter-happy passenger: I couldn't resist taking a picture of everyone taking pictures from the train.


When we finally arrived at the Jungfraujoch station, my mom and I asked a fellow tour member to snap a quick photo of us in front of this unmistakably Swiss backdrop -- there was a long line of people who also wanted their pictures here.


I confess that Jungfraujoch itself wasn't that impressive -- it didn't look very much different from the scenery I'm used to seeing when I ski. I suppose it was still cool to see snow during the summer, though.


Unfortunately, our our cogwheel train broke down on our way back, so we had to get out and walk to the next train. I think my mom and I look like little kids walking to school together here. :)


Honestly, our tour guide Kid was probably the highlight of the entire trip. He must have gone to the bootcamp school of tour guides -- he was the bossiest guide I've ever encountered! He would say, "don't sit there, sit here" and "take off your sweater, it's hot" (even brushing aside protests from someone who said he had a sore throat and was trying to keep warm). I tried to capture as many "Kid moments" as possible, but you just can't predict randomness!

Here he is, showing us how to walk on the ice:



Here he is, ostensibly trying to call over some birds, but I thought we already had enough cuckoos in the train. :)



And here he is...honestly, I don't know what he's doing.



All in all, I did not regret paying the hefty fee for this tour. I got to see just about everything natural and unnatural that I could have wanted!


For pictures of Jungfraujoch, click here.