Monday, July 19, 2010

Freiburg, Germany (7/17/10)

For pictures of Freiburg, please click here.

With my mom back in California, I was sadly contemplating a lonely six weeks with no one to travel with. Luckily for me, a fellow Mountain View-based Googler popped up in town! I suggested to Johnny that we visit Freiburg, which is a two-hour train ride from Zurich HB, and he obligingly agreed.

The day began beautifully with a pastry as large as my head. I ate all of it.



I noticed narrow recesses in the streets that funneled streams of water away from higher ground. I thought this little boy, with his toy boat floating behind him, was the cutest thing ever (and this little girl, dancing to the digeridoo, was a close second).


We then moseyed over to the church, which is supposedly the highlight of the town. Whoever said that church designers didn't have a sense of humor obviously hadn't seen the gargoyle on the left.


Much more impressive than the church, which looked an awful lot like the one in Strasbourg, France, was the farmer's market surrounding it. The varieties and colors of the flowers, fruits and vegetables were eye-popping -- everything was so recently pulled from the earth that I could smell the unique fragrance of dark soil and crisp freshness.


As I walked past the carts, the smell of smoky, grilled wursts filled the cold air -- I just couldn't resist. With drops of rain starting to come down and throngs of eager customers swirling around me, I asked Johnny to capture this delicious moment of time.


With my eyes and stomach fully satiated, I boarded the train home with a sleepy satisfaction that Saturday was a wonderful day!

For pictures of Freiburg, please click here.