Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Marrakesh, Morocco (8/22/10)

For pictures of Morocco, please click here.

On August 22, we visited one of the film studios in Ouarzazate where they filmed parts of The Gladiator, The Passion of the Christ, Kundun, Alexander, The Kingdom, and other Hollywood blockbusters. If the set below looks familiar, that's because it's where Maximus Decimus Meridius talked to Lucius in The Gladiator.


We hopped back into the car to finish our drive to Marrakesh, passing by a green valley nestled between barren hills of red rocks. I've never before been so aware of the existence of water.


And speaking of nestled, can I just say how impressed I am by the reaches of American culture? I couldn't believe my ears when I heard "Gold Digger" by Jamie Foxx and Kanye West on the radio in the middle of Moroccan desert.




Before dropping off our bags at our riad, we visited some sights in Marrakesh, including Menara (yes, the actual location after which Menara Moroccan Restaurant in San Jose, where I belly dance, is named)...


... and Yves Saint Laurent’s garden.


I think this picture of Rachid is hilarious: I offered to let Rachid borrow my hat because he has to cover his head when the A/C is on, or else he'll get sick. My hat is a good hat, no?


We freshened up at the riad -- I was sticky from the unrelenting heat, and water never tasted so good or felt so invigorating! Rachid picked us up at 6pm to take us to the souks; in particular, I was looking for some belly dancing costumes. Sadly, I didn't find anything of the quality I was looking for, so I abandoned that effort quickly. Daniela and I then watched Rachid break fast with a meal of dates, milk, soup, orange juice, eggs, honey pastries (which he didn't eat), and lots of water. I just can't imagine not being to drink anything from 3:30am to 7:15pm, especially in 120-degree heat!

Our day ended at a pre-set dinner and a show. This tourist trap felt acutely artificial in the Disneyland kind of way, and the belly dancer was unfortunately mediocre at best. But the acrobatics on horseback were impressive, and the lamb I had for dinner was very tender. Yeah, yeah, I love my food. But don't worry, I did not eat this entire plate!


For pictures of Morocco, please click here.