Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Anti Atlas, Morocco (8/21/10)

For pictures of Morocco, please click here.

In the early morning of August 21, we rode back to the village where ride started -- I decided to disembark and walk halfway through, though, partially because I found the camel's amble rather uncomfortable). I took a much-needed shower, and began to sweat again almost immediately. It was HOT! Later that day, the temperature soared even higher.


We visited some gnawa musicians in a village nearby with wonderful singing voices. I got pulled up to dance -- again. I must have a neon sign above my head that says "will dance under all circumstances"!



As we left, the cutest little boy wandered in, looking for his dad. He was exactly what his T-shirt said: cheeky, both literally and figuratively!


We then headed back to Rissani via another different road, and saw a massive valley (150 km) of date palm trees called Draa Valley.


Neither Daniela nor I had had fresh dates before, so we asked Rachid to help us buy some at the local market in Rissani. They were delicious.


We then passed by the town of Agdez on our way to traverse another part of the Atlas mountains called the Anti Atlas. Our last stop for the day was our hotel for the night. Rachid’s brother is the head cook at this riad, and Daniela and I were happy to meet another one of his family members. Dinner was great -- I thoroughly enjoyed the lamb because it had lots of nice, chewy tendon!


For pictures of Morocco, please click here.