Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Last day in Marrakesh, Morocco (8/23/10)

For pictures of Morocco, please click here.

On August 23, our last day in Morocco, we decided to visit some final historical sites in Marrakesh. We saw the royal Saandian tomb...


...and a Koranic school. I thought the architecture was gorgeous.




We returned to the market square, where Daniela wanted to see the snake charmers. I surprised even myself when I did not protest the draping of this little guy across my shoulders. Maybe I thought that he was preferable to the other ones, especially the cobra!



We returned to the souks, which reminded me of every crazy, chaotic Asian market I've ever visited.


Daniela bought some mint tea and coffee at this spice shop, where the seller encouraged -- okay, pushed -- us to smell the mysterious, dessicated items in large glass jars.


As our last stop, we went to the local supermarket, which thankfully had air conditioning, to beat the heat. Little birds were flying in the produce section, which Rachid calmly said is normal. I bought a sandwich to eat on the plane with our final few dirhams.

At the end of the trip, I realized that I had never before been so sleep-deprived and yet so awake -- this experience was truly unlike any other I'd had before. Daniela and Rachid, thanks for a wonderful six days!


For pictures of Morocco, please click here.