Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summary: Rome, Italy (6/25/10-6/27/10)


The following is a chronological listing of what I did in Rome. For Rome pictures, click here.

6/25
  • Got on the train in Zurich; the (Italian) train was late getting into Milan, so I had to run to catch the connection to Rome!
  • Coliseum: was snagged immediately by a tour operator who asked if I wanted to participate in the last English-speaking tour of the day; even though famous stuff is often disappointing in person (looks smaller, duller, or more worn than it does in pictures), I was duly impressed
  • Palatine Hill and the Forum: the 20 Euros I paid for the Coliseum tour included this second tour; ruins are so commonplace that they even serve as benches for tourists to sit on; I couldn't help thinking that ancients visiting Rome in its heyday would have been totally blown away by the architectural grandeur
  • Every clock on the street showed a different time; Dorothy, we're not in Switzerland any more
6/26
  • Vatican City: pleased with yesterday's tour, I decided to go on with the same tour company the next day
  • Vatican Museum: so many paintings and sculptures; taking pictures with flash was forbidden, so I had to take videos instead of pictures
  • Sistine Chapel: cameras not allowed; shockingly disappointing; small, crowded, dark and unaesthetic
  • St. Peter's Basilica: gorgeous, stunning, huge, marble, artful, bright
  • Met a 27-year-old project manager from Australia on holiday for -- can you believe it -- seven weeks!
  • In the late afternoon, it started to sprinkle; within an hour, it was POURING
  • Trevi Fountain: reminded me of a fountain at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, which probably was modeled after the Trevi
  • Watched the U.S. lose to Ghana at a local pub; was quite exciting because Americans and Ghanians were both in attendance, and very enthusiastic
  • Ate the most redolent pineapple and melon gelato at 11 p.m.; I love being an adult and eating dessert at ridiculous hours!
  • Woke up in the middle of the night scratching a newly bestowed bug bite :(
  • I can't believe that rain and bugs follow me everywhere, especially when I specifically removed my umbrella (honestly, who thinks it'll rain in Southern Italy at the end of June?) and bug cream (Europeans whom I consulted laughed at the mere idea of bugs in metropolitan Rome) from my luggage
6/27
  • Woke up at 7 a.m. to the ringing of a phone in the hall; who puts a phone in the hall that no one answers?!
  • Pantheon: mass was being conducted in the morning, so I decided to return in the afternoon
  • Mouth of Truth: made famous by Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday"
  • Circus Maximum: looking quite minimus now; just a dirt track overgrown with flowering weeds, but it must have been awesome to see the chariot races in Rome's heyday (kind of like watching Formula 1 races today, just with horses instead of cars)
  • Pantheon, v2.0: very impressive; loved the spotlight of sun coming through the circular opening in the dome's center; the artful arrangement of variously colored marble was impressive; saw Raphael's tomb
  • Piazza Novella: sweaty lunch in 90-degree weather; the heat didn't stop me from having yet another plate of risotto
  • Bought a stamp with my initials and red wax to stamp into
  • Ate 5 scoops of gelato in a waffle cone; yum
  • Relieved to sit down in the train after a total of 17 (out of 48) hours walking, despite a fussy baby that showed up in the same car to and from Rome
  • The (Italian) train was late again, so I had to run to catch my connection back to Zurich
  • Sank into bed exhausted and happy